Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

What should I do if I’m the victim of check fraud?

Contact your bank immediately and file a police report. Consider placing a fraud alert and security freeze on your credit report by contacting the credit reporting agencies (Experian, TransUnion and Equifax). Contact your bank about closing your checking account to prevent further fraud. Fraudsters may copy and print multiple washed checks for future use or sell the checks to a third party.

For more information, visit What do I do if I’ve been a victim of identity theft? | Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (

Last Reviewed: April 2024

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us