Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

My business is the victim of a wire transfer scam. Will the OCC be able to force the bank to refund me?

You should report suspected criminal activity to the bank and law enforcement immediately. You may wish to review your deposit account agreement, wire payment agreement, or other contractual terms that may address your company’s liability for wire transfers. You can file a complaint with the bank and the OCC. Each complaint is reviewed to ensure that the bank is in compliance with applicable bank laws and that the bank is operating in a safe and sound manner.

If your submission involves fraud, you may wish to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). If your complaint specifically involves fraud initiated over the internet, you may also wish to file a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3). The IC3 is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C).

You may also contact the FTC by mail and phone. Their contact information is:

Federal Trade Commission
Consumer Response Center
600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20580
(202) 326-2222

As there are numerous scams that are presented daily to consumers, you may wish to review the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s fraud and scams website for helpful information regarding the potential harm, such as identity theft, that can result from responding to a scam.

For more information, see our frequently asked questions about fraud.

Last Reviewed: April 2024

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us